Saturday, September 6, 2008

His First Fred Bear Bow

Mr. N loves to hunt and fish. Anything that his dad loves, he loves. So Mr. N turned 7 in August and has been saving all his birthday money for a special purchase. I tried to coerce him into a multitude of "safe" items but resolved myself to the fact that if he doesn't get the item he wants he is going to find a way to make it with whatever he can find. In the past that hasn't been such a good idea.

Like the light saber he made out of a metal pipe which sliced open his little brother's hand, which sent us to the ER, which led to Mr. I getting 8 sutures (not stitches, he was pretty adamant about that) in his hand. Okay, you get the picture.

So, the overprotective mother in me decided somethings I just have to let go. Dad and Mr. N picked out his special purchase last night. In walks Mr. N with a smile from ear to ear, showing off his new bow. He couldn't wait to get that thing out and start target shooting. Of course, before he did that some crazy, overprotective mom had to make sure he knew ALL the rules of safe archery. I think my husband might have rolled his eyes at me.

Hey I can only take so much.
Last night the hubby "made" me let Mr. N go get his own pizza from the buffet ALL BY HIMSELF. Baby steps people. baby steps.

4 comments:

ellison mom of four said...

I think I have finally figured out how to leave a messege. Keep the blogs coming. I check them a lot and they make my days.

Congratulations on the new "hunting gear".

Hope said...

Oh my, another reason maybe I don't have boys. But then again, Nate doesn't hunt or fish, so I wouldn't have this issue, would I?

Now, the pizza buffet, I'll likely have that one! Good job letting him go by himself. I'm just wondering how many pieces he touched with his hand or sneezed on while he was up there. ;)

Marylou said...

Well, Hope, John doesn't hunt or fish, but his son has UNCLES.... You both need to read WILD AT HEART if you haven't yet! Now I understand why Mr N wanted Pappa to come over!

Chandra said...

ellison mom of four -
Glad to finally have your comments, keep those coming!

hope -
I don't want to know what he touched but even worse than that I don't want to know who had touched what he finally did pick. Another great reason why I still should help him through the buffet, right?!?!?!?