Monday, March 9, 2009

Church in a Basement

I pray this finds everyone well and for those of you back in Hillsboro, know that I miss you all (terribly) and pray for you all regularly.

I woke up yesterday morning (many times, that stinkin' time change), made breakfast, showered, woke my brood of boys, fed them and hiked over to Church. The temperature outside was wonderful, a little on the breezy side but wonderful.

We settled into the pew, same exact pew as we have been sitting in ALL MONTH LONG. Mr. N, apparently, is a creature of habit. We have been trying to break the mold, cycle of sitting in the same spot. However, it seems like every week when we walk in there is always the same exact spot open. Our plan.......get there earlier and pick whatever spot we want. OH, but NO, Mr. N. wants to sit in HIS spot. "I like that spot, that is where I want to sit", he says to me. So, for the sake of not creating "issues" (I think you know what I mean by issues) I "graciously" let him lead the way into "our" pew.

Okay, back to my story. We were getting into communion time and Lil' Mr. N. had decided he had had enough. So, I "discretely" excused myself to the cry room. Matthew started his sermon and I settled in to hear him via the speaker. About 15 minutes or so into the sermon I hear this howling noise. It took me only a second to realize what it was, me being wired to hear tornado sirens at a moments notice (even ones that aren't going off). I hustled out of the nursery to make sure Matthew had heard them and try to help everyone downstairs.

Now, we could have all just hunkered down and waited for the storm to pass, but we didn't. Chairs were set up in the basement fellowship hall and Matthew finished his sermon downstairs. He is kind of like the post office, I suppose. He will preach not matter the weather.

Just some thoughts to leave you with today. Where do you go in the storms of your life? Will continue on with your purpose when the storm comes or will you hunker down, waiting it out?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post chandra! Good to hear you all have settled in. Miss you all.

Kristi Eileen said...

MY brother the post master lol. Miss you more and more everyday! Distance only breaks my heart:( What a pathetic heart I have...Give the boys (little and big)my love!

Marylou said...

Awe, your post today made me cry. I know I am weird, but I have no idea why, maybe becuase Nicole and her two babies just left this morning to go back to Nebraska... Anyway glad you have the basement to go to! When I heard the sirens during your dad's sermon at our church, I thought of you and was glad both yours and Mark's families have a basement in both your churches and your homes. I was wondering where we would go at Hillsboro CC but the storm passed, and we did not have to go anywhere. I am not sure if many people even realized there was a tornado warning going on....

Marylou said...

Oh and on your question about where do I go in the storms, it varies sometimes I huddle down, and sometimes I try to fight it out, but when I get a good turn out on the storm, I am still and pray. Wish I would always be still and pray...